“But this is MY tumblr and I can do whatever the fuck I wa—” YO IMMA LET YOU FINISH BUT LET ME JUST DIRECT YOUR ATTENTION TO REALITY.
REALITY: You’re free to do whatever you want as long as you don’t step on anyone’s toes. Like, you can go around swinging axes, just make sure it doesn’t hit a dog or someone’s head or a tree (unless you really need paper and promise to plant a new one)
Anyway, I’m not saying that these are rules you should abide by, but it’d be nice if you did. Because I’d really like our tumblr experience to be a pleasant one (meaning you don’t fuck shit up and piss me off and stuff)
ETIQUETTE ON POSTS
1. REBLOG. DON’T REPOST.
Most people work hard on their graphics. And right clicking “save-as”, and reuploading it to tumblr does NOT count as “hard work”. It takes two clicks to reblog, one click to like. Life is simple.
2. IF IT’S NOT YOUR EDIT, DON’T FUCKING SAY IT IS.
a. “Source-ing yourself”
c. watermarking the graphic with your url (*insertsparklyusernamehere*.tumblr.com)
3. DON’T REMOVE THE WATERMARK FROM A GRAPHIC AND THEN REPOST IT
Because that’s just deliberately being a douchebag thief who wants to show off his/her MS Paint skillz
4. IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE ORIGINAL SOURCE OF A GRAPHIC YOU FOUND ON AN EXTERNAL SITE, THEN YOU’RE BETTER OFF NOT SHARING IT ON TUMBLR BECAUSE BITCHES WILL FIND YOU AND BITCH ABOUT HOW IT’S THEIR GRAPHIC AND NOT YOURS. AND WE ALL KNOW BITCHES CAN FUCK SHIT UP SO DON’T MESS WITH THEM BITCHES.
5. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SHARE A GRAPHIC ON TUMBLR AND YOU DON’T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM (idk coz you just have it saved on your computer or some shit), THEN DON’T LINK YOURSELF AS “SOURCE” (a disclaimer note would be nice)
Because you are obviously not the source. And no, your “My Pictures” folder is not a credible reference.
6. IF THE OWNER OF A GRAPHIC YOU’VE REPOSTED ASKS YOU TO TAKE HIS/HER SHIT DOWN, JUST FUCKING DO IT. IDGAF HOW MANY NOTES YOU GOT FROM THAT SHIT. THAT’S NO EXCUSE, BRO.
See? This is why you should’ve listened to #4.
7. YOU DON’T HAVE TO HAVE A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ALL THE GRAPHICS YOU SAVE FROM THE INTERNET, BUT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO ANY FORM OF CLAIM WHEN POSTING IT ON TUMBLR, UNLESS YOU PHOTOSHOP (or alter) IT A LITTLE (then you’d have “some” ownership)
8. YOU BETTER PUT A SOURCE ON IT
Usually in these conditions
a. The owner of the photo you edited asks you to credit them
b. You’ve gif-ed a “must-see” video
c. It’s fanart
d. To avoid people bombarding you with messages that are variations of, “OH MY GOD. THAT LAST POST. WHERE DID YOU GET IT?”
9. WEHEARTIT.COM? MORE LIKE, WESTEALIT.COM
10. IF YOUR WATERMARK COVERS THE ENTIRE GRAPHIC, THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT POST THE GRAPHIC
What is the point if we can’t see shit? Yes, we know what your url is. You must think you’re so hipster.
11. YOU CAN COMPILE/POST OTHER PEOPLE’S GRAPHICS IN A PHOTOSET, AS LONG AS SAID PHOTOSET PRESENTS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT/ORIGINAL IDEA
And you are not simply just reposting a photoset
But if the owner of one of the graphics asks you to take it down, just take it down or replace it.
12. YOUR POSTS MAY CONTAIN TAGS LIKE THESE
“#ugh #lol #lulz #lmfao #funny #sad #depression #british accent #love #life #quote #quotes #happiness #uneasiness #what #stars #typography #words #alphabet #potato #what is the meaning of life #hipster #not mainstream #salmon #cute”
BUT DON’T COMPLAIN WHEN PEOPLE LAUGH AT YOU
13. DON’T POST THINGS THAT WILL GIVE PEOPLE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES AND/OR RABIES
14. DON’T TAG YOUR HATE
(Unless you’d want your testicles ripped off and shoved into your asshole)
SOMETIMES EDWARD CULLEN LOVERS KEEP “SPARKLY FAIRY” IN THEIR TRACKED TAGS, AND IF THEY SEE YOUR HATE, THEY’LL BLOW GLITTER AT YOU AND BLIND YOU WITH THEIR RAINBOWBEAMS
15. FUCKING SPELL CHECK
ETIQUETTE ON REBLOGS
1. DON’T DELETE THE ORIGINAL POSTER’S COMMENT
(Unless you’re one of those religious blogs that hate blasphemy and condemn people to exile)
Doing this could lead to misinterpretations/misunderstandings. Also, the OP could find this a tad offensive, because you obviously did this because you didn’t find the OP witty enough (how rude of you).
2. DON’T DELETE THE SOURCE OF THE HELLAFUNNEH SOTOTESAWESOMEZ COMMENT AND THEN JUST KEEP THE HELLAFUNNEH SOTOTESAWESOMEZ COMMENT
Because obviously this means you want people to think that you were the one who came up with the HELLAFUNNEH SOTOTESAWESOMEZ COMMENT. When really, you’re just a sad old hag who’s too lame to be awesome so you just take credit for other people’s awesome commenting skills.
the-absolute-funniest-posts is not a proper role model
3. DON’T REBLOG TAGS. CLEAR THEM.
I honestly don’t understand why the greatest comments are in tags. But they just are. So, if you like a tag, then copy/paste it on the text area of the post you want to reblog. Don’t just fucking leave it there.
Also, you wouldn’t want “#mine #my gif:4” to show up in the tags of something you reblogged.
4. YOU’RE ALLOWED TO REMOVE THIS COMMENT/LINK
Follow this blog. You’ll love it on your dashboard
5. IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT, DON’T REBLOG IT AND THROW A FIT.
People don’t need to see your bitchfit on their notifications.
a. When someone is being GENERALLY stupid
b. When there is an error in spelling and/or grammar
ETIQUETTE ON THEMES
1. TILED GIF BACKGROUNDS ARE FROWNED UPON
People are frowning at it because it makes them nauseous
2. AUTOPLAYING MUSIC ON YOUR PAGE? PLEASE GO BACK TO MYSPACE WHERE YOU BELONG
It’s not fun when you’re browsing on multiple tabs and music just comes out of nowhere and gives you a mini heart attack and you don’t know which tab to close and you can’t close the entire window or mute your computer because you’re in the middle of sobbing at your favorite tv show which you are currently streaming in one tab
Also, you should consider the visitors of your blog because they might not like the music that’s playing and they might not be smart enough to just mute their computer, so they just stop visiting/following you.
3. BRIGHT NEON COLORS ARE NOT EYE-FRIENDLY
Not everyone has sunglasses nearby. We’re not Horatio.
Side note: You might also consider color-coordinating your theme so the words are readable. You wouldn’t want your page to look like this:
4. DON’T USE THEMES THAT AREN’T PEOPLE-FRIENDLY
Because if your theme isn’t friendly to people, then people will not be friendly to you—because HOW DO YOU CLICK BRO
ETIQUETTE ON FOLLOWING/FOLLOWERS
1. DON’T DEMAND A “FOLLOW BACK”
We’re not in a 69 position
2. DON’T DEMAND ANYTHING FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS
They’re not ACTUAL followers. You are not their god. You are neither Misha nor Loki.
You should consider yourself fucking lucky that these idiots chose to follow you and put up with your bullshit.
3. DON’T SEEK PEOPLE OUT AND ASK THEM WHY THEY’VE UNFOLLOWED YOU
HAVE SOME SELF-RESPECT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
4. IF YOU LOSE A FOLLOWER, IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU UTTER THESE PHRASES SOLEMNLY
“Now you’re just somebody that I used to know”
“Nevermind, I’ll find someone like youuuuuu”
5. ELIMINATE THE TERM “TUMBLR FAMOUS” FROM YOUR VOCABULARY.
There’s no such thing. This ain’t your high school. We’re all equals here.
6. SEND ASK BOX MESSAGES. PEOPLE LOVE THOSE.
7. TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO BE A MEAN GREY HEAD
8. THERE WILL BE SHIPPERS AND SLASHERS AND FANDOMS AND HIPSTERS AND AVENGERS AND HARRY POTTERS AND MEAN GIRLS AND MEMES AND MACROS AND ART AND GIFS AND GAY LOVERS AND SHIT AND ETCETERA ETCETERA. JUST DEAL WITH IT.
9. RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE’S OPINIONS.
We don’t ALL have to see it the same way. We don’t all have to agree on a particular topic. We don’t all have to like the same things. Just fucking walk away. There are no right or wrong opinions.
10. EVERYONE IS ALLOWED TO LIKE, DISLIKE OR CHANGE THEIR OPINION ABOUT SOMETHING
You don’t get to decide how someone should “properly” feel about something. As long as they’re not getting all up in your face about it (meaning messaging you or reblogging your post and calling you out), just leave them be (actually, if they get up all in your face, it’s best to just ignore them coz they’ll feel like shit and go away quicker). There’s an unfollow button for a reason. Use it instead of bitching at the person for not satisfying/pleasing you with their posts. After you’ve unfollowed, pipe the fuck down and move on.
ETIQUETTE ON THE MEN THAT TUMBLR FOLKS CARE ABOUT
1. THEY ARE ALL FLAWLESS HUMAN BEINGS WITH BEAUTIFUL UNICORN SOULS. DO NOT ARGUE WITH THIS.
2. EVERYONE IS ASSUMED GAY EVEN IF PROVEN STRAIGHT. DO NOT ARGUE WITH THIS AS WELL.
ALSO NEVER FORGET:
IT IS PREFERABLE THAT YOU SPEAK IN CAPSLOCK SO PEOPLE WILL HEAR YOU PROPERLY